2007-10-30

hurricane swells/miami beach



50 something images
click here for related slideshow


2.5 days


50 something images
click here for related slideshow


Tuesday morning

there is an hurricane not far from here - somewhere near the island of
Hispaniola.
i went to the beach in the morning -
big or huge waves one after another -
not many surfers in the water.
too windy.

it looked more scary today -
like no gap no peace between the swells

the current felt strong and violent
like a river
if i stopped swimming i would find myself 100 yards south just in a few
instants

i saw a small Portuguese man of war -
i decided to swim back
the wind was very strong
a couple of big waves crashed on me violently -
and i knew i just have to let go
and wait until i can see and feel where the bubbles go
---
Sunday/before


life guards bugged me
wouldn't let me swim past the surf
so i swam in the surf
sand and salt in my eyes

cool couple with kids
i am sure they don't watch TV
the kids are happy
the mama wears a ramones cap

many women with silicon in their chest
just laying on the beach
i don't know how looking so artificial can be attractive.

24 block swim in the riptide
the lifeguards threatened me not to go past the surf
dehydrated salty mouth and face and bloodshot eyes and blisters on my toes
too much sand in the water.
past the breaking point is so much easier and nicer to swim.

my eyes burn for 2 days - i need drops
and iodine tincture on my toes.

--
in the park by the beach
some bums
collect ripe coconuts with a pole and a bin
it will pay for the cheap
beers they drink out of cans
morning day evening

No comments: