2008-09-09

my trip to HAITI. prints for support





MY TRIP TO HAITI

This Friday September 12 I will be flying to Santo Domingo and take a bus across the border to Jacmel, Haiti.

A month ago I booked a Jetblue award flight I needed to use.

In the past few weeks Haiti has been badly hit by 3 hurricanes that created damage and suffering.
I am thinking of photographing the efforts of an organization that is planting trees in the deforested country.
Document the realities of agriculture, education, reconstruction, arts and traditions.

Maybe teach students at a school and orphanage in Jacmel how to document the reality around them through photography, a tool that can create awareness; as a Haitian lawyer in Brooklyn suggested.

As I am self financing this trip [I am using a Jet Blue award ticket to the Dominican republic] I am trying to raise some funds for the extra expenses I will face. In Haiti I might face blackouts, possible food shortages, mosquitoes.

I posted 6 dyptich images on my website.
Photographs I shot in the past month or two that capture the essence of my summer in the North East.

The prints are available in
8x10 size for $23 each
and
11x14 size for $44 each
shipping and handling included.

here is the web page for this edition of prints

http://stefanogiovannini.com/triptohaiti/

There is a secure PayPal shopping cart that accepts credit cards.

The shipping will be handled directly by the lab - so I can just place the order with the buyer shipping address from anywhere I have internet access.

--
some of the expenses
I need to buy for instance malaria prevention pills [$90], bring with me lightweight emergency food like dried beef and power bars [$30], extra batteries and chargers, crank powered flashlight and radio, bus from DR to Haiti $ 60 each way and so on.

I may stay a few nights at this hotel [$45/night]

http://www.hotelcyvadier.com/page8.html>
> Our Hotel is also involved in social work in Jacmel in our School we have 300 Kids who benefit of free education.
> So yes if you want to share some of your shots we can always use the exposure.
>
When I come back around the 24th I may organize a slideshow somewhere.

The print sale will help me a long way - I have a Paypal Mastercard debit card I will use in Haiti - so each sale will help face unexpected expenses. The sooner the easier will be for me to get organized and deliver.
Anyway thanks everyone for the support.

No comments: