2007-06-11

pix girl boxer+sunday mass in the park/





click here for related slideshow


I got some 4x6 prints at Walgreen's -
to drop off to some people i encountered and let me take their picture.

the photos look quite good - very saturated colors and glossy paper -
I need to make the images a bit cooler.
so different from the labs in NYC that usually mute the colors.

the night before I was in the gallery district - openings - people were
dressed up.

the same area not at 3 pm of a Sunday is deserted like a ghost town -
just bums from around here and the mission and the church.

a guy from Georgia is carrying 50 pounds of corn starch in a bag on his
head.
he is 53 and has no fat at all - just skinny an d muscular.
he tells me to be careful around here - to not turn left -

i tell him i am going to little Haiti - so i will take a right turn.
he has no idea he has never been there,
--
I go to the restaurant Chez Anouse -
i give them the prints -
the owner is happy and thinks my photos are also funny.
he seems educated - he tells me some stuff about Haiti / Santo Domingo etc.

i take some photos of his young daughter
she puts on a nice elegant linen jacket

---
i run into a girl i shot a few days before -
she is hyper she is at her friend's and friend's mother place -
they are just sitting in the yard and chilling.

they are not Haitian - geechies [?] from Ohio.

the other girl used to be a boxer -
\she now has some missing front teeth -
knocked out a year ago at some game -
a dentist is taking care of that for cheap -
about to leave her mother asks me if i can bring her a Pepsi.

all the stores are closed -
i find willy's open -
i buy 3 cans and some bananas -
the guy asks me why i am taking pictures.
he has seen me around the hood.

bring back the sodas the mother tells me i am a gentleman.

take their picture and go -
it is very very hot and humid -
but now i am used to it -
just would like to swim off the heat tho.

i got the bike fixed - now it goes so much faster [the brake was too tight[
and although i like road bikes - i appreciate the basket for my bag and
having the brakes on the pedals makes shooting while riding [as i often
do] easier.

I find the Jamaican restaurant with the murals i shot the last time in
Miami -
they remember me
it is good to show them what i have photographed.
these guys are potheads and i smell the marijuana scent all around.

---
i go to the park where they have a huge outdoor mass -

it is the celebration of that wedding where jesus made the miracle when
they ran out of wine.

so all these people are also re enacting that episode as some sort of
impromptu play.
they are catholic - they say - nothing to do with botanica stores and
Voudou.

some think i am from the Miami herald
i can see some disappointment when i tell them i am doing this for myself -
independently

No comments: