2007-06-03

surf/sunset miami beach

click here for related slideshow

Miami Beach - pre tropical storm




after a day of continuous rain
the sun comes out -
some clouds and showers come and go.

in the morning the ocean is rough
there is a red flag
and waves one after another - not so good for surfing-
looks like when the Mediterranean is stormy.

i go for a swim - the rip currents feel like a river and
the sandy bottom is very uneven
shallow and deep a few steps apart

the lifeguard blows the whistle at me -
when i get out of the water
he tells me he does not want people to swim too far out -
even if you are a good swimmer.

---
i skip Mexican dinner
i just want to go in the water before the sun sets.
no more lifeguards after 5 and i bring my fins -
i swim past the surf and the surfers to the buoy.

it looks amazing
the waver are longer and taller -
some push me up and i feel 10 feet above the beach level -
i dive to see how long i can hold my breath.
i come out and i hear "Stefano"
and it is Paulo surfing
catching some good waves.

--
I should have bought one oft those 300 dollar underwater camera enclosures.
to take the pictures i wanted to take but i haven't ye taken.
-
I swim until before dusk -

just to catch some shots from the beach.
i wrap a plastic shopping bag around my camera - the lens sticking out.
wade in the water and shoot .
-
wait until dark
i hear the sound of the waves
loud and louder
and i realize it makes me happy
to hear that to be there

No comments: