2006-12-01

Trieste / Opicina - last bike ride to sinkhole

many photos in this SLIDESHOW

thumbnails below



went down to Trieste sunny warm day - feels like springtime -

see the large synagogue get a coffee in the Viennese style cafe
where an elderly woman is writing a philosophy treaty -
typewritten pages she corrects with whiteout and pen.

I walk by the Serbian orthodox cathedral with magnificent mosaics

it is 11.30 am
i walk into a cafe to get a coffee or something - 2 distinct women order a glass of red and a glass of white for 1.5 euros -

--
my uncle drives me uptown for lunch his big country house with a rocky garden

--
in the afternoon he takes me to the cemetery where my grand parents rest and he shows me writer Italo Svevo's tombstone whose real name is Ettore Schmitz and is Trieste's most famous writer

it feels weird being in a cemetery and i wonder how my uncle feels being 78 and youthful but knowing most of is life is behind him

----

On the last day I ride the bike 3 towns to find a place where to check the email -

in the small village in the middle - trebiciano - i see really old houses cut in stone
one woman walks out in the street and i want to take her picture -
she is worried about her clothing but that is what i really like -

she lets me take a few photos -
she tells me of the beautiful 100 year old house that is abandoned -
i wonder how much it costs it would be a shame to let it crumble.

the woman now insists so much about taking me into her house and make me some coffee - bu need to go get ready to catch the train.

she insists - i wish i could go in but I need to ride fast.

the air feels so clean and pure -

before going to my uncle's i stop by the wood nearby
to take a look to the sinkhole maybe 600 ft deep -
there is a fence around -
it is plenty of these sinkholes here -
deep wells to underground rivers or water basins

careful not to fall into

there is a very tiny short man hanging up the laundry outside his house.

he has huge underwear = especially for such a small man
but those briefs would be too large for a giant

1 comment:

Vanja said...

Glad to have offered you web access on my FONspot ;)