2007-05-10

Cat Power Tour/Thru Swiss tunnels to Italy then to NYC

click here to proceed to the slideshow [if you click the image you will go to the "contact sheet" gallery

thru switzerland/Milan to NYC





London -
In the UK they call “Parma Ham” what in Italy we call “Prosciutto Crudo” which I learned in school to translate as “Raw Ham” in english.
Parma is where they make one style of Raw ham. I think sweeter to the taste than the one they make in San Daniele.
if I speak english I feel Parma Ham is more accurate than Prosciutto.
but after all the word for computer in italian is “calcolatore” or “elaboratore elettronico” but everybody just says “computer”

__
German/Swiss border

we have to wait 45 minutes to have the paperwork and passports checked.
if you drive by car it would be a minute but with a bus filled with equipment there is more bureaucracy.
we walk to a restaurant on the side of the road. Eizabeth said they have great food.
No one speak english. the aging waitress is wearing a python printed miniskirt.
some truck drivers are drinking a liter of fresh draft beer.
the sandwiches look really miserable,
just old drying sliced cheese and some old ham.
they said it is a holiday - I have no idea.
it is still raining but not pouring.
I should have had wurst and kraut in Heidelberg

---
Luzern CH

In the backstage there is a plate of cold cuts - the cheese - Gruyere is rich and amazing.
the promoter orders some thai food for everyone. thai food just like the night before in Heidelberg Deutschland.
Thai food in german speaking countries seems rather bland and boring.
I wish we had Rösti and sausages and kraut and red cabbage fondue.
promoters assume bands like thai food made for people that don't know about thai food.
i always like local better.

touring with a band you end up sitting in the backstage and eating eating eating -
sitting on the couch for a while and get up and eat more of whatever is there.
I feel when I get back I need to ride 20 miles on my bike every morning. not as a commute just as an exercise.

----

Milan

people have lunch breaks -
they all do. editors at magazines - investment bankers - video producers - construction workers.
all represented between 1 and 2 pm at bar magenta.
first course - 5 euros all inclusive.
I have a tuscan kind of barley with pesto.

there are more people wearing suits in milan than the average in nyc.
not as many as at some park avenue starbucks - where everyone wears nice suits.
the suits in milan look good - a bit on the conservative side - the tie knot a bit too big, but nice suits / fitted right indeed.

---
S.Gotthard tunnel - CH

we stop at the last large gas station before the tunnel under the mountain that separates Canton Uri from Canton Ticino in Switzerland.
there is a small river that comes down the mountain
i roll my jeans up and take my shoes off to wade for a good spot to take a photo.

it looks so amazing and peaceful.the water is ice cold and my feet turn very pale and i feel my toes getting stiffer.
it is still raining a bit.
we get back on the bus -
after 11 miles inside the tunnel under the mountain -
on the other side the sun is shining
and the temperature rises from 14 degrees celsius to 27 degrees.
from the end of the winter to early summer in 20 minutes.

---

Milan - Malpensa airport

the airport is far from the city - but there is an express train shuttle for 11 euros -
fast and convenient.
by the airport I see the snow capped rocky alps.
I check in with the 11.40 flight with delta.

if you fly to the USA or Israel you have to go to the end of the airport and go thru a security pre screening.
there are paramilitary cops everywhere with big automatic rifles and submachine guns.

----
On Delta flights they charge you for wine and beer -
just one included with the meal -
feel I am back in the USA - where alcohol is a big deal -


---

Malpensa Airport

Airport food is simple and good.
Cappuccino + fresh warm croissant + fresh squeezed orange juice 3.3 euros
a sandwich with ham - robiola cheese - rucola 3.4 euros.
once at JFK I was starving before getting on a plane I got some cold stale wrap for 9 bucks.
wish they had more fresh food at US airports - fresh key lime pie in florida - pumpkin pie in nyc.
or at least Katz's or a Taco truck cook instead of McDonald's at some airport lounge.
--
In Flight

looking at the Alps is always awesome -
a long wide strip of rocky and steep peaks you can't see the end.
I see the eternal snow on the glaciers and some easier mountains to climb.
feel I should go to the dolomites someday.
the plane is still climbing and there is turbulence - i hear the trays and the silverware shaking and making noises - I see the wing outside flexing up and down.

on the other side of the atlantic I can always see the land when flying above Labrador and Newfoundland.
it looks amazing - endless horizon - rocks and snow.
I see only one town below - a port by the ocean.
another place I want someday to put my feet on.
if i had a car and time and cash - maybe some summer month long trip

--
JFK
having flown Delta there are more US citizens than euro tourists at the immigration.
and it takes longer to go thru than if I had no green card.
feels good to be back, I like the air train - quiet and filled with natural light.
I see the jamaica bay swamps
makes me wont go for a bike ride to rockaway beach.

No comments: